Complaint, Grievance and Appeal Procedures


Complaint, Grievance and Appeal Procedures

Students who are enrolled in any Ohio State course who might have a complaint about this course or an experience with OSU, the following procedures can be followed:

  1. Ohio State has reaffirmed the American Council on Education statement of Academic Rights and Responsibilities. Any student who believes he or she has been treated unfairly on academic matters should follow this link to determine how best to address this grievance.
  2. A student who encounters a problem related to his/her educational program has a variety of avenues available to seek resolution. (Note: the procedures for grade grievances are explicitly covered in the Alteration of Marks section of faculty rule 3335-8-23 at Typically, a student is advised to resolve any dispute, disagreement, or grievance as directly as possible, engaging with the person or persons most closely involved. The faculty and staff of the departments and colleges are available to work with students in this regard. If this step does not produce acceptable results, the student should follow a logical stepwise progression to address the academic concerns:
    1. Course instructor(s)
    2. Course supervisor
    3. Department or division chairperson
    4. College official (Dean or Associate Dean)
    5. Office of Undergraduate Education (the Graduate School has similar grievance procedures for graduate student concerns - see
    6. University Student Advocacy Center -;
      Counseling and Consultation Services -
      (Note: Student advocates from the Advocacy Center may provide feedback on a student's written communication or statement to the department chair regarding grievances or appeals, or in instances where the student believes they have been unfairly treated, an advocate can help determine the best course of action.)
    7. Many OSU departments have department-specific grievance and appeal processes listed on their websites or in their student handbooks.
  3. If a concern or grievance is related to registration see If the concern is related to financial aid, see
  4. If a concern is related to Disability Services, please follow the link below to view a PDF copy of the Office of Disabilities Handbook.
    ODS Handbook
  5. If you don't feel that you have received satisfactory attention, you may also register your complaint by sending an email to the OSU national accrediting agency, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Higher Learning Commission at the address

  6. Out-of-State Distance Learning Students:

    State Contact Information
    Pursuant to the U.S. Department of Education's Federal Integrity Rules, The Ohio State University must provide to its out-of-state distance education learning students, or prospective students, the contact information for filing complaints with each state licensing entity and any other relevant agency that would handle the complaint.

    If a student located in a State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) state has a complaint about an institution operating under SARA, complaints must first go through the institution's standard procedure for resolution of student grievances. If a student is not satisfied with the outcome of the institutional process, the complaint may then be brought to the SARA portal entity in the institution's home state. The SARA portal entity in the state where the student is located is notified that the complaint was received and may assist as needed. Resolution of the complaint by the SARA portal entity in the institution's home state is final.

    The Ohio Department of Higher Education (ODHE) is responsible for responding to formal complaints against public, independent non-profit and proprietary institutions of higher education in Ohio. For more information regarding State Authorization Disclosures related to OSU activities, including online courses, in other states, search by state for state agencies and contact information regarding student complaints.