Frequently Asked Questions

Academic Support

University Exploration (EXP) is an academic program designed specifically to help undecided students explore majors and minors at Ohio State before making a commitment to a specific academic direction. If you are selecting a major for the first time, visit their website and make an appointment with an advisor. If you are looking for a new major, visit "Change My Major" and fill out the brief form, where you can request that we reach out to you to schedule the appointment or you can schedule the appointment yourself.

The Dennis Learning Center supports students so that they can enter, excel in, and successfully complete academic programs at The Ohio State University. The center helps students flourish by providing assistance in areas that include motivation, academic stress, procrastination, study skills, time management, test taking, learning from text, note taking, and self-regulation.

The Dennis Learning Center is housed in the Younkin Success Center, which also houses services related to student success. Within the Younkin you can also find Career Counseling and Support Services, University Center for the Advancement of Teaching (UCAT), Buckeye Careers, Student-Athlete Support Services Office (SASSO), and Counseling and Consultation Service (CCS). Additional Younkin resources include free Tutoring Services, Veteran Tutoring Services, M.A.R.S research assistance, space reservations, commuter lockers, and student study spaces.

In recognition of distinguished academic achievement and high standards of academic integrity, Ohio State awards degrees to undergraduate students with Latin Honors, which is based on the cumulative GPA on the transcript at the time of graduation. These Honors include: the designation summa cum laude may be granted only for those students who have achieved at least a 3.90 cumulative point-hour ratio; the designation magna cum laude may be granted only for those students who have achieved at least a 3.70 cumulative point-hour ratio;. the designation cum laude may be granted only for those students who have achieved at least a 3.50 cumulative point-hour ratio. Additionally, certain colleges (for example Arts and Sciences and Health Sciences) have set certain criteria for graduation with Honors designation in those colleges. You are advised to contact your college office for specific criteria. A student can graduate "with distinction in [special subject]" and with "research distinction in [special subject] or with "honors research distinction in [special subject]" if certain criteria are met, such as the completion of an undergraduate thesis.

The criteria for being placed on the Dean's List varies by college. It is usually based on the GPA for that specific term and the number of credit hours taken. For example, the College of Arts and Sciences policy states: Students completing a minimum of 12 graded credit hours with a grade point average of 3.5 or higher for any given term will be named to the Dean's list for that term in the college in which they are enrolled. Courses graded satisfactory/unsatisfactory (S/U) or pass/non-pass (PA/NP) do not count toward the minimum 12 graded hours, and a grade of U, E, EN, or NP will disqualify you from making the Dean's List, even if you meet the 3.5 criteria.

Academic Administration

Transcripts and degree verications are available from the Office of the Registrar.

The grading scale is left to the discretion of each instructor, but there is no required or universal scale. Different courses have points that add up to different totals. If points for a course total 100, an instructor might use the range of 90 100 as the range for some kind A,. Some courses curve grades, so a score of 70 could be an A, and in other courses, it could take a score of 95 to earn an A.

What is universal are the broad standards of instructor judgment outlined in faculty rules (3335-8-21, Marks): An A is assigned when the instructor has judged the student to have satisfied the stated objectives of the course in an excellent manner. The student's performance was judged to be in this range of high quality based upon a comparison with other students in the course, and/or with students who have taken the course previously, and/or the instructor's personal expectations relative to the stated objectives of the course, based on the instructor's experience and expertise. Using the same standards of judgment, instructors assign grades of B to work they determine is above average, C to work that is average, and D to work that they deem to be of low, but acceptable, quality. An E indicates the student has not satisfied the stated objectives of the course.

Crisis Support

Often, the best place to start is with your academic advisor. He or she can discuss your options with you and guide you regarding procedures, forms and deadlines. Also, if you are having some challenges that call for extra support, the Student Advocacy Center might be a helpful resource for you.

The Counseling and Consultation Service provides services to students who are currently enrolled at the University. They offer counseling to address a variety of concerns that can impact your life. If you are experiencing a crisis or have an urgent need, please call their office at 614-292-5766 to speak with a therapist. After-hours, Counseling and Consultation Service provides crisis consultation for students by calling 614-292-5766 and choosing option 2 which includes weekends and holidays.

In the event of an emergency or need to speak with a clinician immediately, please visit your nearest emergency department or Netcare Access.

The Student Advocacy Center is also a great resource to students as well as their parents and families. It is a reality that most students will encounter some form of health issue during their time as a student. While we hope these occurrences are minor, there are sure to be situations involving students who are sick, injured, or dealing with significant medical or mental health challenges that disrupt their academic pursuits. Should you encounter these kinds of issues, the Student Advocay Center can help with questions and concerns about how this may impact your status at the university and will work to connect you with other resources, advise you on how to manage your condition in relation to school, and offer whatever support can be provided. Their goal is to ensure that you effectively balance your own health and wellbeing with the academic demands of Ohio State.

The regional campuses each have an office to provide student support, counseling and crisis prevention.

If your student is able to, encourage them to contact their academic advisor who can help them navigate their best academic options. The academic advisor may be unable to assist you directly due to FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974). Your student can adjust their FERPA status in their Buckeye Link, giving you the consent that may be necessary.

If your student is unable to communicate, you can report their condition to the Student Advocacy Center. They will contact the instructors and work with them (and you) to accommodate your student's illness. Depending on the severity of the condition, they may recommend taking an Incomplete or Withdraw from classes. More information about those options is availble on the Center's website.

The Office of Institutional Equity coordinates Ohio State's response to all complaints of harassment, discrimination and sexual misconduct affecting students, employees, graduate associates, appointees, volunteers, visitors, suppliers and contractors, including providing information on rights and options for formal investigation. The office also provides coordinated support to anyone impacted to help them access on- and off-campus support resources, including confidential resources. Dedicated coordinators help arrange interim measures to ensure continued access to educational and employment opportunities, such as no contact directives, changes in class or work schedule, emergency housing, counseling, and academic support. The Office of Institutional Equity is also responsible for implementing and enforcing policies that govern accessibility and protection of minors.

If you need immediate assistant, call 911. If you have questions about the office or resources, call 614-247-5838 or email You can also file an anonymous concern through Ethicspoint.

Disputes, Appeals and Academic Misconduct

The Ohio State University has a specific process for grade grievances outlined in the University Rules. If you believe there has been a grading error or disagree with the grade you recieved, you should first speak directly with your instructor. If no resolution is reached, you should then contact the department chair or course manage to discuss the grade grievance. The final step is to request that a faculty committee be appointed to review the grievance.

The Student Advocacy Center assists students with grade grievances in several ways. If you are not sure about how to address this with your instructor, they can help you determine the best way to approach them. Advocates can also provide feedback on a student's written communication or statement to the department chair, or in instances where the student believes they have been unfairly treated, an advocate can help determine the best course of action.

The Committee on Academic Misconduct webiste provides informaiton about academic integrity and guidelines. If you have a question about a specific situation or instance (prior to turning in an assignment or taking a test), you should discuss it with your instructor to make sure that you follow the University's Code of Conduct and fulfill the course guidelines.